Friday, August 7, 2015

Review: Fan the Flames by Michele Dunaway

Former Navy SEAL turned marine rescue firefighter Brad Silverman is tasked with his toughest mission yet: taking care of his best friend's wife. The only problem is that Scarlett Harrison has always been the one-the one who got away, the one who held his heart, and the one who has always been off limits...

Now widowed Scarlett returns to her childhood home in St. Louis, determined to get her life back on track. She misses her husband but can't fight the attraction she feels for sexy fireman Brad. As she spends more time with him, the connection they have had since high school grows stronger. Are they finally ready to overcome their pasts and lose their hearts to each other?
  
   
 
Expected publication: August 18th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks
 
Review:
 
I knew this was going to be a tearful story and I was right. Scarlett looses her husband while he is on a mission. Brad, who had known her and was her husbands best friend is trying to pick up the pieces and do what he promised he would do.


Although I liked the characters and their history I had a hard time seeing them as a couple for the simple fact I didn't feel as if I was on the ride with them. I just felt the author mentioned things instead of taking us on the journey of Brad and Scarlett falling in love.


The way Brad was described was hot! No wonder why Scarlett couldn't stop thinking of him and wanting to touch him. You could also see he was really a great guy since he hasn't had sex since his best friend passed and he wanted to be the best person he could be for Scarlett which I thought was so sweet and thoughtful.


I did like Scarlett and her drive to want to go back to college and do something with her life. She didn't want people feeling sorry for her and wanted to do things at her pace. I adored her daughter and the bond they had. Her daughter really took to Brad which was just adorable.


Since Brad is a firefighter I think I expected more scenes that included firefighter and not fixing up his house or one of them cooking. I did enjoy hearing about their pasts and their very first kiss. I also couldn't help but tear up when the letters were read. They were so sweet and filled with emotion. I just couldn't imagine being in that situation.


The story flowed nicely and didn't leave me guessing. There wasn't a lot of drama or suspense but somehow it kept me interested. I think I was just routing for them to get together already lol. I mean they had stolen kisses, a very explosive chemistry and enjoyed the time they spent together so I expected them to fall sooner then they actually did.


I enjoyed the epilogue and how it gave them their happily ever after but of course I wanted more. Overall I enjoyed this read but I am hoping the next one will have a little more suspense added to it. This book can be read as a standalone.

No comments:

Post a Comment