Saturday, March 31, 2012

Review: Wanted Undead or Alive by Kerrelyn Sparks

Phineas McKinney thought New York City was tough, until he was attacked by Malcontents—evil vampires who consider mortals to be snacks. Saved by the good vampires, Phin swore to devote his now undead life to stopping the Malcontents. He's got his job cut out for him when word comes that their enemy may be hiding in Wyoming. What does a city boy like him know about horses and campfires? Good thing he's got Brynley Jones with him . . . if only she didn't hate every vampire on earth.
She's a werewolf princess . . .Bryn believes vampires are seductive and charming, and that makes them dangerous. So she's more than a little annoyed about teaming up with Phin, even if he is the only bloodsucker able to make her inner wolf purr. But as they hunt down the new leader of the Malcontents, danger threatens . . . and Phineas and Brynley discover a passion that will rock the foundation of their supernatural world.
Review:

This is the first book of Kerrelyn Sparks that I’ve read and when this book was offered to me to read I took it since this series is on my TBR list. I thought by reading this one it would make me want to read the rest of the series sooner, mission accomplished! I was pretty lost at the beginning and I REALLY wish I’d read the others first so I knew the other characters better, but as it went on and focused more on Phineas and Brynley, it got easier.

Phineas McKinney, also known as Dr. Phang, The Love Doctor, and the Blardonnay Guy, was turned into a vampire 5 years ago and has become pretty popular from being on TV. He plays into his parts well whether it’s being hounded by fangirls who want to meet Dr. Phang, or going on TV to try and convince the bad guys he’s on their side to try and flush them out. Besides doing his duty, all Phin wants is to find his own love, that The Love Doctor is so good at finding for others but not himself.

Brynley Jones is a wereworlf who ran away from her pack when her father, who was very controlling of her, tried to force her to marry. She ran off and met up with her brother who had previously been cut off and had taken up with the rest of the crew at MacKay S and I. She has much hate for vampires, which stem from biases she struggles to overcome, but there is something about Phineas that she doesn’t want to admit she is attracted to.

Phineas must go to Wyoming to help hunt down the bad guys and needs someone to assist him in werewolf territory and help keep him safe during the day time hours and Brynley is the only one available. Bryn is torn because her wolf desperately wants to go home but she’s afraid of being near her father. Phineas and Brynley appear to hate each other as they are going through their own emotional turmoil and fighting their feelings for each other. They both don’t feel they are right for the other and Phineas is really struck on how he grew up poor and had to resort to selling drugs to support his family and Brynley grew up rich and is an equivalent to a princess in her werewolf pack.

I didn’t really get too emotionally invested with these two but again I think that’s due to not having read the other books and learning their story from their beginning, but when they come together and stop fighting their feelings, watch out for those sparks. I’m sure that my feelings will be different when I’m able to go back and get to know these characters from the beginning. The pace was good and I enjoyed the action and was satisfied with the ending. I do have to add that there was many times I laughed out loud and that mostly has to do with Phin’s brother Freemont. His 19 year old comments just cracked me up! At first I just thought that he was naïve, but oh no, he’s just being a teenager! And Digger cracked me up, who we run into a few times. I’d say they were some of the highlights of the book for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment